Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]


[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: Blank

Look into soil compaction grouting. Hayward Baker does this, and may have a branch near you. This is the least intrusive method to raise a structure. A small diameter pipe is pushed into the ground below the structure to solid bearing (as evidenced by refusal), then a pillow of grout is pumped in, the pipe is raised and another pillow pumped in, and so on. This compacts the soil around the grout and builds a column of grout. I watched a 2 story brick on stone footing addition in Denver close a 2” gap at the top, and the doors all worked! The other way is by excavating to the base of the footing and install a helical pier down to firm bearing (again as evidenced by refusal and installation torque), and then a bracket installed on the base of the footing, which has a jack plate to jack the structure up, and the bracket locked down. This requires digging to the base of the footing, which clearly won’t work in a bridge.


Thank You, Mark Benjamin

Crown Jade Design and Engineering, Inc.

 (970) 472 2394


Engineered For the Way You Build...

                       ...Designed For the Way You Live


Licensed in AZ, CO, CT, ID, KY, MN, NM, PA, WY... and your state!


P Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely necessary! Think about the environment.


Confidentiality Statement: This message is solely for the use of the intended recipient. This message is confidential, and may contain legally-privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, reliance upon or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please destroy it and notify me immediately. Thank you.


From: gregory szuladzinski [mailto:ggg(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:10 AM
To: Sseaint Org


In a property in Oregon ther is 18' bridge, fairly wide, for vehicular traffic as well.

Due to action of a stream it spans, one end of it has sunk visibly.

I am aware of only two ways of fixing it:


1. Lift the end and push something (?) underneath.

2. Inject into the ground one of those swelling liquids,

which I was once told, have this capacity.


Do those two methods work?

Is there a better way?




Gregory from Oz