From: sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 18:37:42 -0700
Subject: Re: New Madrid
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Correction - it was 500,000 lbs.

VSG

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM, V. Steve Gordin <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com> wrote:
Good afternoon,

I need to do some analysis for an industrial outfit right by New Madrid, MO.  Of course, I am familiar with the seismic history of, and the code requirements for, the area.  However, I was not quite ready for the LRFD seismic coefficient of 1.13 and the corresponding pullout forces of 500 lbs per baseplate for a moderate-size (not the heaviest) equipment.  The currently existing (not-so-old) installation at the same site does not appear to meet anything close to the criteria dictated by the IBC.  Sure enough, before 2000 IBC, it was Seismic Zone 3; after that, it became about 2-4 times worse that the former Zone 4 - or anything on the West Coast.

Can somebody working in the NMSZ share the experience on how do they do practical structural design utilizing existing structures there?

Thanks,

V. Steve Gordin SE
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
www.sgeconsulting.com