Re: Wind speeds in California

Gary,

Keep in mind that the wind speed is HIGHLY linked to the wind design methodology.  This is heavily reinforced by the link that Chic provided...it effectively provides three different "code" wind speeds.  It provides wind speeds for ASCE 7-10, for ASCE 7-05, and for ASCE 7-93 since that is when there were "shifts" in the wind design methodology in the US codes.

It has been a while since I looked at Canadian codes and even then I did not look too much as wind loads...mainly snow (and rain) loads.  So, I don't know how well the Canadian code "jives" with how US code methodology.

Having said that, you are potentially going to get close enough for preliminary design for costing purposes as I cannot imagine that the Canadian and US methodology is wildly different.

Regards,

Scott