Re: Gravel Road - wearing course

Hello Marc,

I was once told a general rule for roads from and old transportation
engineer.  It's like the one for real estate.  It goes like this: Drainage,
Drainage, Drainage.  The Class 2 material has clay in it which makes
it bind but doesn't allow it to drain, right?  What happens to this Class
2 material when it's saturated and you put a heavy load over it?  Will
it pump?  I could see this being a good material with drainage layers
to protect it.

As a second point, I wouldn't want to use a gravel road for something
that steep.  Around here the fire marshall will not allow anything over
10% to go unpaved.  Trying to get a fire truck up an 18% grade covered
in gravel and with the possibility of the base pumping while trying to
climb that hill does not for a quick extingushing of a fire make.

The DG will likely provide a good compaction and allow for better
drainage than the Class 2 material.  I would maybe try to talk the
client into a roller-compacted concrete for the road.  That will
provide the load capacity and wouldn't have to cost as much as
pavement.  He could put that on as a wearing surface over the DG
or the Class 2 material.

Good luck,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.