Re: Gravel Road - wearing course

Decomposed granite is not good for vehicle loads. Great for foot paths and protecting horses hooves.
I have seen drive ways rutting out with the stuff. Three possible reasons
1.  missing a class xx subgrade,
2.  Decomposed granite is a soft crush-able material
3.  Need larger sized aggregate in mix to support vehicles.

I am very very happy with my Class 5 on flat ground. Even so fines will wash out in heavy rains.

The epa reference looks like a great place to start!
http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/nps/upload/2003_07_24_NPS_gravelroads_gravelroads.pdf
Is a great lead thanks!
The listed address spells gravelroads, twice, each time as one word.

David Merrick, SE and sometimes CE and surveyor
Sacramento