Field steel holes

I have to modify a building bracing which is bolted to gusset plates. The steel plates at one of the ends will remain. For the plates to remain I have the idea to use one of the holes as center of rotation point for the new bracing position. Then the other holes go to be covered by the bracing element and new holes is go to be required. The effect of induced excentricities with this procedure are negligible. How practical is to specify making a holes in the field?. The gusset plates are 1/2" with 3/4" bolts and located 15' from the ground elevation. Preferrable to use welding?

Jorge Jimenez, PE