RE: Field steel holes

In general, it is easier and cheaper to weld.  But drilling holes in the field is quite common using a magnetic drill and you eliminate the fire watch.  Magnetic drills have been around for decades.  If you can, design both and give the steel contractor the option.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:07:23 -0400
Subject: Field steel holes
From: jajimenez(--nospam--at)onelinkpr.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I have to modify a building bracing which is bolted to gusset plates. The steel plates at one of the ends will remain. For the plates to remain I have the idea to use one of the holes as center of rotation point for the new bracing position. Then the other holes go to be covered by the bracing element and new holes is go to be required. The effect of induced excentricities with this procedure are negligible. How practical is to specify making a holes in the field?. The gusset plates are 1/2" with 3/4" bolts and located 15' from the ground elevation. Preferrable to use welding?

Jorge Jimenez, PE