RE: Joplin, MO Tornado and the Home Depot building in the media...

Smart move to mow the yard.

First of all, few structures can resist a EF 5, and it is naive to think that you can or should design structures for an EF 5.  It is done in the nuclear industry.  One can develop the probabilities for a building being hit by an EF 5.  That said, relatively inexpensive modifications of design could be employed to mitigate catestrophic failures for structures such as this.  The building codes are MINIMUM requirements predicated on life safety for natural hazards for defined probabilities.

It is an Owner's call about designing structures beyond the code minimums or other standards determined by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.  I think that Home Depot has announced that they will be putting shelter areas inside the store that will be built in Joplin.

Regards, Harold Sprague