Re: seaint Digest for 1 Jul 2011

Mr. Merrick at 2: Not my area of expertise, but isn't the Earth's background radiation becoming less? Solar radiation is relatively constant and the Earth's radioactives are all decaying toward non-radioactive (and thus non-heat contributing) isotopes. Not that we need to worry one way or the other: geologically speaking we are all very transient phenomena.

Agree about rebar and cracking. Cracks in concrete and masonry and in brittle finishes, tell us a lot about what has moved: then it becomes an issue of 1. Does this matter? and 2. If it matters, what do we do about it. / eric