From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:49 AM
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: ASCE 07

ASCE 7 is not a materials design code. It is agnostic regarding definitions
of things like "failure."

It is a code that defines the criteria for estimating or approximating
design-level loads. The changes incorporate the progression of understanding
of the loading phenomenon.

For example, there has been a lot of research into the nature of how wind
interacts with the surfaces of bodies to generate loads on those surfaces.
ASCE 7-10 incorporates the more recent understanding.

EDITORIAL NOTE: I have always been somewhat at a loss to explain why so many
of my colleagues resist and are quite frankly militant against changes to
the way things are done.

I suppose you could use the old ANSI A58.1 code for loading if it makes you
feel more comfortable...as long as "nothing bad happens."

And I guess you could insist on having all your kids' tonsils removed as
well.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 4