Re: ASCE 07

Computing loads per the current ASCE 7-05 in effect when compared to older UBC codes from 20 years ago may yield similar forces.  The evolution of code thickness comes from research and observations from earthquakes and other natural disasters.  Bottom line: you'll still need the newer codes and design guides to assist with detailing requirements for the various Seismic Design Categories and wind exposures.