Re: Cantilever Wall Forces-ASCE 7-05, Ch 15

For seismic, you could make a case for using ASCE 7-05 Chapter 13 Table 13.5-1 (i.e. Fp forces for cantilever exterior nonstructural walls).

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

From:        DRPFLY(--nospam--at)aol.com
To:        seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date:        07/13/2011 10:08 AM
Subject:        Re: Cantilever Wall Forces-ASCE 7-05, Ch 15

Hello Steve,

For cantilever walls, I use ASCE 7-05 Table 15.4-2, Seismic Coeff. for Non-Building Structures Not Similar to Buildings.  Look at  "All other reinforced masonry structures not similar to buildings".  R=3, Omega = 2.  The values are the same for reinf.  concrete cantilever walls.

For wind load on a cantilever wall, see ASCE 7-05, Figure 6-20 Solid Free-standing Walls and Solid Signs and Sec. 6.5.14.  The gross area of the wall is important.

HTH,
Denise R. Poeltler, PE