Subject: Seismically Non-Compact Beam
From: "Steiner, Matthew" <MSteiner(--nospam--at)ThorntonTomasetti.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

------_=_NextPart_001_01CC4624.5A71C575

We are evaluating an existing SMF building that has a number of beams
that are seismically non-compact because of the flange width to
thickness (Actual is 7.67, Maximum is 7.23).

=20

I was thinking of adding web stiffener plates to stiffen the flanges and
prevent buckling but I'm not sure how to determine the buckling length.
My guess is there is some variation of plate theory that can be used to
find the local flange buckling length and use that to determine the
spacing of the stiffener plates.

=20

Any references are appreciated.