RE: Pile force check for orthogonal load combinations

Ravi,

RE: ASCE 7-05

A pipe rack is part of a category of "nonbuilding structures similar to buildings".  This means that they have structural systems and responses that are similar to buildings, but we needed a little latitude regarding the systems that we could use that we could not get if they were defined as a "building".   We wanted to use as much of the information as if the systems were part of buildings as we could.

In answer to your quesitons:
When we design the foundation, is there any exception that the fdn & piles need not be checked for orthogonal load combinations?
No

Can anyone point to ASCE/IBC 2009 section about taking or not considering ortho load Comb for fdn and Pile design?
Section 15.1.1
We did not provide any changes or modifications to the design of foundations, nor did we develop any exceptions to Section 12.5.  Looking at Section 15.1.1 "....Design shall conform to the applicable requirements of other sections as modified by this section. ...."  Thus Section 12.5 is not modified and is applicable.

Chapter 15 was not intended to stand alone.  It provides modifications to other sections of the ASCE 7.

The ASCE 7-10 is written similarly.

Regards, Harold Sprague