From: Vasu, Ravi
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:38 PM
Subject: Pile force check for orthogonal load combinations

List,

In the design of non building structures like pipe rack in SDC D, we design the steel pipe rack
for orthogonal load comb. also.  When we design the foundation, is there any exception that the fdn & piles
need not be checked for orthogonal load combinations?  The ASCE 7-05, section 12.5.4 is
not clear about foundation check.  It says about column or wall design in any direction.
(I am not sure about orthogonal condition check for column/wall)

Can anyone point to ASCE/IBC 2009 section about taking or not considering ortho load
Comb for fdn and Pile design?

Thanks

Ravi Vasu