RE: Pile/Fdn check check for ortho load comb in SDC D

This is another case of ...oops (more or less).

The intent can be found in the NEHRP Provisions and Commentary.  The Provisions essentially are the same in the ASCE 7.  The Commentary is included below for your reference.  The ASCE 7 defines minimums only.  And sometimes we have problems getting the intent into the code.

The intent is that orthogonal load characterization should be required where we have higher seismic demand.  Seismic ground motions do not occur in just one horizontal direction.  They occur in both horizontal orthogonal directions and arrive at different times.  In order to account for the different arrival times, you should design for the ground motion effects in 2 horizontal orthogonal directions.  And the load should be carried through to the foundations.  The design of foundations to resist the applied loads is implicit in the charging language in Section 12.1.5.

The acceptable approach is to apply 100 percent in one direction (x) simultaneously with 30 percent in the y direction.  I say acceptable, because the nuclear world uses the 100/40/40 rule.  The nuclear world requires a higher degree of conservatism and they require consideration of vertical ground motion.

The ground shaking occurs in the vertical axis for buildings or nuclear structures, but I am fighting that battle in the next code cycle.  The future code will require consideration for vertical ground motion effects.  ....stay tuned.  We have known about the vertical effects for years and design accordingly in the nuclear world.  But the non-nuclear world needs to be convinced before adding a layer of complexity to design work.

Regards, Harold Sprague

NEHRP 03 Commentary
4.4.2 Application of loading.
Earthquake forces act in both principal directions of the building
simultaneously, but the earthquake effects in the two principal directions are unlikely to reach their
maxima simultaneously. This section provides a reasonable and adequate method for combining them. It
requires that structural elements be designed for 100 percent of the effects of seismic forces in one
principal direction combined with 30 percent of the effects of seismic forces in the orthogonal direction.
The following combinations of effects of gravity loads, effects of seismic forces in the x-direction, and
effects of seismic forces in the y-direction (orthogonal to x-direction) thus pertain:
gravity " 100% of x-direction " 30% of y-direction
gravity " 30% of x-direction " 100% of y-direction
The combination and signs (plus or minus) requiring the greater member strength are used for each
member. Orthogonal effects are slight on beams, girders, slabs, and other horizontal elements that are
essentially one-directional in their behavior, but they may be significant in columns or other vertical
members that participate in resisting earthquake forces in both principal directions of the building. For
two-way slabs, orthogonal effects at slab-to-column connections can be neglected provided the moment
transferred in the minor direction does not exceed 30 percent of that transferred in the orthogonal
direction and there is adequate reinforcement within lines one and one-half times the slab thickness either
side of the column to transfer all the minor direction moment.