Subject: RE: Perforated Plywood Shear Walls
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:07:58 -0400
From: gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.org
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Larry,

As noted, most of the shear wall and diaphragm provisions in Chapter 23 of the 2009 IBC have been replaced with a reference to the 2008 edition of AWC’s Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic, which is available for a “read-only” free download at http://www.awc.org/pdf/2008WindSeismic.pdf as well as for purchase in PDF and hardcopy versions. This was done to avoid duplication of – and conflict with – the provisions in the SPDWS. The 2008 SDPWS covers force-transfer and perforated shear walls in addition to traditional shear walls, so those are still permitted via the reference in Chapter 23.

Updated versions of the ’05 NDS and ’01 WFCM are in their latter stages of development and will be out before the end of the year, in accordance with the special exemption granted to allow certain updated standards to be referenced in the 2012 I-Codes even though their processes were not complete by last year’s final ICC hearings.

(I suspect AWC staff is still recovering from their annual meetings last week; otherwise I’m sure Buddy or someone would have replied by now J.)

Gary

GARY J. EHRLICH, P.E.

National Association of Home Builders

D 202 266 8545

gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.org

Everything you need to know about building is at www.nahb.org.

Stay up to speed all year long with NAHB’s Webinar Wednesdays.

Plus, webinars receive CE credit for NAHB’s professional designations.