CMU wall and footing interface shear

What is the correct way to quantify the shear resistance at the interface at the base of a cmu wall and footing? This is for out-of-plane shear on the wall but it should apply for in-plane shear as well. We have always provided dowels matching the vertical bar size and spacing but I was thinking that since the interface is between masonry and concrete (and not concrete and concrete), that shear friction may not be appropriate.

Will Haynes