From: David B. Merrick, SE [mailto:mrkgp.se(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Old Structural Mesh BF912

I wonder if the written BF letters are actually BW for Birmingham Wire
or British Wire

I would preliminarily assume a square wire mesh of 12" with a 9 guage
wire. My experience the strengths will be very close to standard loads
if not then try 9 inch square with 12 gage.

Watch out for less steel in gages rated by American Wire or Browne & Sharpe

The Carnegie steel hand book of 1926 showed the following wire gage
sizes, in inches,  and all wire had a design strength of 20 ksi

9ga= 0.418        12ga= 0.109        Birmingham Wire BWG or Stubs Iron Works
9ga= 0.114423  12ga= 0.080808 American Wire or Browne & Sharpe
9ga= 0.1483      12ga= 0.1055      American Steel & Wire Co formerly
Washburn & Moon
9ga= 0.145        12ga= 0.105        Trenton Iron Company
9ga= 0.144        12ga= 0.104        British Imperial Standard Wire SWG
9ga= 0.1398      12ga= 0.0991     Standard Birmingham Sheet and Hoop BG

David Merrick, SE