RE: Cables

The telecommunications tower industry routinely uses galvanized steel cable all over the world in any climate.  Freeze-thaw cycles are not detrimental, but you must account for the seasonal thermal variation in the cable.  You must also account for wind excitation (galloping), cable tensioning, ice accretion, etc.  I would suggest you look at the EIA 222-G.  Troitsky's "Tubular Steel Structures" has a section on guyed stacks.  ASCE 52 is the guide for FRP stacks.  When you guy a stack, you will induce a significant compression force in the stack.  I am not sure how the PVC will work in compression.

Regards, Harold Sprague

From: arubalcava(--nospam--at)isatsb.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 14:22:17 -0700
Subject: Cables

I have a situation where I plan to use cable splays to horizontally support a small, 7 ft tall PVC stack on the roof of a 2 story building in snow country. Should I be looking at stainless steel or galvanized cable? Will the freeze-thaw cycles be detrimental to the exposed cable?

Thank you,

Anthony Rubalcava