Re: Highway Sound Barrier Walls

Thanks to all who replied to my e-mail. I attended a meeting last week with my customer, the other engineer and the contractor doing the installation and his engineer. Nothing final has been decided but it appears they will try to use the option with no rebar in the concrete. The other engineer feels he can argue that the steel post embedded in the concrete provides the required "reinforcing" for the concrete, even though it is in a medium seismic zone. No skin off my nose and I still get paid. Thanks again.
Gary

On 10/28/2011 1:26 PM, David Finley wrote:
FDOT has details for both:  http://www.dot.state.fl.us/rddesign/rd/rtds/10/5205.pdf

David Finley

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 9:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Highway Sound Barrier Walls

Listers,

I'm currently in a debate with another engineer regarding drilled piles
or caissons for highway sound wall posts.  I want to provide steel posts
embedded a short length into augered concrete piles with a steel rebar
cage around the perimeter of the pile with 76mm (3") of cover.  The
other engineer maintains that a rebar cage is not necessary if the
galvanized steel post is extended to near the bottom of the pile.

My position is that, due to the augering of the hole and filling in with
concrete, it is likely that dirt will fall into the concrete or that
uneven drilling or air pockets could lead to weakening or cracking and,
hence, loss of cover.

I want the rebar cage since our code states that, in seismic zones,
non-plain concrete shall not be used for structural members where
ductility is required.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on this issue?

thanks,
Gary