OT: Okay, Serious Question

Why is it that the USA is considered the sine qua non of scientific and engineering innovation: aerospace, solid state electronics, pure research of any and every kind. We lead or seriously compete in nearly every area of human endeavor.

Yet we cannot manage to design and manufacture a reliable passenger automobile?  WTF!

(POLITICAL CORRECTNESS DISCLAIMER: This is not an intent to disparage any other nation, creed, color, or faith. It is my opinion. If you find yourself angry at my words, then simply reject my opinion and substitute your own).

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Sent from my iPad 2