Re: Interior wood shear wall lateral bracing

I have seen the 5psf out of plane load in the San Francisco code it was to reduce the risk of a wall falling over in a fire and secondarily for internal differential air pressures when doors and windows are open and exposed to exterior wind pressures.

Sheet rock shear can be considered by transferring the out of plane wall force with blocking. There is no design allowable for sheet rock connections in compression nor tension.