Re: seaint Digest for 1 Jan 2012

The 2009 IBC generally requires deep foundations, such as drilled piers and driven piles, to be laterally restrained at the tops by grade beams or, sometimes, by structural slabs. If you already have a grade beam grid, it should be possible to add short grade beams diagonally across the "corners" of the grid to accommodate the mislocated piles. This is a lot cheaper than adding piles.

You probably want to have a surveyor do an "as-built" pile survey, then look at the differing conditions, sorting them by severity and then sprcifying a "fix", with added concrete and rebar as required.

This is a notorious problem with pile jobs, unless you have proper quality control in the field, which you apparently did not. You can tell the contractor the old engineer's motto: "Pay me now or pay me later". When will they ever learn? When will they eeeevvfeeerrrr learn? (Hat Tip to Peter, Paul and Mary, who young folks probably don't remember.)

Happy New Year, All.  / eric