Re: Underground Tanks

I think you need to define the loading conditions and design criteria.
 AWWA has it's own standards that address tank design.

To get an idea if seismic soil design kicks in you can go to the IBC
and ASCE 7 and see if the tank falls under Seismic Design Category D
or higher.  Be careful on how you categorize the tank.  If it is part
of the fire water system or supports an essential facility, it is
categorized as Occ Cat IV.

And do watch buoyancy as it may require a ballast slab if ground water
table or 100 year flood gets too high.  Don't forget compliance to
NSF-61 if drinking water.

Call a manufacturer in California and ask them how they design for
seismic soil loading and what information they need in the
specification to make the bid requirements clear.

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ