Welding of Plate Washers

I've received the following question from a local structural steel fabricator/erector.

Since they're using short slotted holes for their for most of their beam to column and beam to girder connections, washers are provided over these holes when occuring in the outer ply.

The project SEOR is returning the related shop drawings marked up with a comment requiring that these washers be welded. The reason, I'm assuming, is to insure that the washer remains over the slotted hole while the bolts are tightened.

Has anyone encountered this situation in the past?

Thanks,
Charles Canitz, PE
Annapolis, MD