Escalator Drifts

Been a long time, been a long time, been a long, lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely long time....
Hello (hello hello) Is there any body in there? Just nod if you can hear me? Is there anyone home?

Not sure if this thing is still alive, but if SO .... here's a long one for ya.

Question on Drift of Escalators and the seismic movement the connection needs to be able to handle.

ASME 17.1-2004 (Code for Elevator and Escalators) section 8.5.3.2.2 reads as follows:

8.5.3.2.2 At the sliding end or ends, the width or widths of the beam seat shall be capable of accommodating, without damage, at least 1.5 times the story drift as obtained by either of the following:

(a) through engineering calculations
(b) by using the maximum code allowed story drift per the NEHRP 1997 Table for Allowable Story Drifts. This table allows story drifts of 0.0375 hsx where hsx is the building story height.

I provided the inelastic drifts for my building in the specifications which at 2% drift for a 20 foot story height is about 4.8" (I'm very close to this limit). I'm being told that this is way too high by the elevator people. Their experience is 2.375" of movement (1 3/16 each way) is the most they've ever done in San Francisco or California (my project is in SF)

So my response so far has been that since 8.5.3.2.2 says "WITHOUT DAMAGE" they want an INELASTIC DRIFT to be accommodated in the bearing slip . In option B they want 1.5 x 3.75% story height which again leads me to think INELASTIC DRIFT.

The numbers quoted by the elevator people seem like elastic drifts. ASCE 7-05. ASCE 7-05 13.6.10 tells you to follow ASME A17.1 (quoted above) bu then says "except as modified in the following text". There is no following text, just another code section (13.6.10.1) which goes on to say "Escalators .... shall be designed to meet the force and displacement requirements of sections 13.3.1 & 13.3.2)

13.3.2 SEISMIC RELATIVE DISPLACEMENTS uses ELASTIC DRIFTS.....

So, which one do I use?

Thanks Everyone...who may be there still....