To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Elevated Cantilever Building
From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:28:27 -0700

I am working on a rather large elevated single story electrical building.  The building itself is light frame construction (either metal stud or girts with metal siding and roof) however it is elevated 6 feet off the ground with twenty-four  10" or 12" square steel tubes.  For wind load are there any special considerations for the wind that can pass underneath the building (i.e. additional uplift?).  Are there any guidelines for such an elevated building wind load analysis?

We have considered the steel tubes as a cantilever system with the building floor system acting as a solid diaphragm with the floor beams being pinned drag struts connecting the top of the columns.  For seismic, the building by itself could be an R of 6 1/2 however since it is supported by a cantilever system we are considering using R of 2 1/2, 1 1/2, or 1 1/4 depending on whether we go with special, intermediate or ordinary for the entire column/building design.  Would this seem appropriate?

Thanks,

Thomas Hunt, S.E.