From:        Paul Blomberg <paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
To:        seaint <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date:        05/03/2012 03:36 PM
Subject:        So When Is Seismic Component Design Required?

Be gentle with me but I have a question.  I've designed equipment and
component anchorage for seismic loads longer than I care to admit.  My
question is, when don't you have to design for seismic loads?

I know ASCE 7-05 has the anchorage exemptions in section 13.1.4, but
if I have a minor item mounted in an Occ Cat IV building, when do I
stop?  An example might be a paper towel dispenser in a bathroom.  And
if I have to design the anchorage for this paper towel dispenser, do I
have to use ICBO tested screws?

Another question, when do you engineers out there specify the SMACNA
Seismic Restraint Manual Guidelines for Mechanical Systems for seismic
resistance?  Do you ever draw a line between using SMACNA (or other
industry guidance) and ASCE 7?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Paul
Phoenix, AZ