Subject: seaint Digest for 6 May 2012
From: "h.d.richardson" <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)telus.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Column Buckling Due to Unifoemly Distributed Load

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01CD2B8A.661B9FA0

Fellow engineers,

        I am working on two free-standing stacks.  A question has come = up
regarding maximum permissible slenderness ratio, KL/r.  AISC, CISC, = and
other structural codes traditionally limit KL/r to being less than = 200.
ASME SST-1-2000 doesn't cover the subject.  For KL/r AISC permits = stress
of 3.73 ksi whereas a stack axial stress will be about 10% of = this value.

        I submit that limiting KL/r to a maximum of 200 is much too =
conservative since the loading assumptions for AISC and others are not =
applicable to stacks.  Structural load cases assume ALL loading in the =
form of a point load at the top and NO uniformly distributed load while =
stacks have NO point load at the top and ALL of the load is distributed =
along the height.  Guyed stacks are a different matter, of course, = because
most of the load comes from the force of the guys or from the = weight of
other sections of the stack above the guys; I would always = restrict KL/r
to being less than 200 got guyed stacks.

        My thought was to solve the Euler equation and use a safety = factor
of 2.5 or 3 but my skill with differential equations is not what = it used
to be.  The equation I am trying to solve for UDL only is

EI(d2y/dx^2) =3D -M

where

M=3D m* Integral (from x to L) of w*y*dx

M =3D bending moment
w =3D weight/foot

        Any other thoughts, references, or help in solving the equation =
would be welcome.  Also, since I'm never sure if I'm connected to the = list
or not any more, a direct response would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

H. Daryl Richardson