Re: Aluminum design for Canada

Scot,
The Canadian standard for design of aluminum is a piece of t--d. Most CSA documents are very well written but I think the committee on this std had a free and never-ending supply of non-medicinal spirits. I have one customer who builds aluminum structures. After trying the Canadian standard and checking it against known results and getting some cases with peculiar answers, I contacted a member of the committee and he said there had been a lot of dissension on the committee. I then collaborated on a job in Edmonton with another engineer and he said the CSA document was a piece of c--p and we designed that structure using the US Aluminum Manual. I have since used it the US Alum manual and found it to be much easier to use. As for the CSA std, I would recommend any Canadians use it very carefully if they have to use it at all. The US document has lots of examples to check against but the CSA std has butkiss.
Gary