RE: Aluminum design for Canada

I agree with Gary that the CSA aluminum standard is, in some instances,
difficult to correlate with perceived real world situations where it doesn't
make sense (I've had similar problems with welded guard rails etc but I'm
not sure that other standards are entirely faultless either) but while it is
acceptable to use any authorized code or standard, and while our current
codes/standards are apparently objective/performance-based, my understanding
is that we have a duty to ensure that the results of another code/standard
do not fall below (the intent/prescription of) the local code/standard.
I.e. deemed/calculated "equivalency". It doesn't, per se, make it wrong to
use another code/standard but in the event an "expert witness" finds the
results deficient or in error, based on the local code/standard, it could
expose a designer to liability/criticism/unnecessary hassle ... if I recall
correctly, did TY Lin not run into that one ...?

I would suggest that Gary's caution applies to all codes/standards ...

FWIW, a similar situation may arise (jury still out, I think) when a
designer may decide to use a later (and judged, better) standard/code than
that referenced in the "current legal code/standard" ...

Victoria, BC, V8T 1Z1
Email: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
Please consider the environment before printing out this e-mail