RE: Important Message: SEAINT Continues on LinkedIn SEAOSC group

Quick, before it closes down, I have one last question. I have a project
with a circular stair. The owner wants a center stringer and otherwise open.
I'm thinking tube or pipe, but in any case, it will follow the geometry of a
helix.

Questions:

If the steel section is formed via heat, are there residual stresses or can
I assume stresses are zero until I apply load onto the stringer? Same
question if the stringer is formed with laminated wood.

I know a helical spring only sees torsion, but that is because one end is
moving with respect to the other. If I model this stringer, with the top and
bottom preferably pinned (in x, y and z directions), can I trust the output
if I have two load cases, full live load and unbalanced live load?

Finally, is there a question I forgot to ask?

Also, it would be a travesty not to acknowledge the work and foresight
provided by Shafat Qazi and Dennis Wish in conceptualizing, launching and
maintaining the best medium for structural engineers in my lifetime. Thank
you, gentlemen!

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #S2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS
 Consulting Structural Engineers
        32302 Camino Capistrano, #206
         San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675