Re: Important Message: SEAINT Continues on LinkedIn SEAOSC group

If the archive is going away too, can we get the entire archive into a zip file and uploaded to an FTP somewhere so maybe it can be used in the future? I would hate to just lose 16 years of answers.

Will H

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Stuart, Matthew <MStuart(--nospam--at)pennoni.com> wrote:
I guess the List Archive will not be available for mining answers to questions?

Matthew Stuart
Pennoni Associates Inc.
Office 215-222-3000 x7895
Mobile 908-309-8657

From: Thor Tandy [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 3:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Important Message: SEAINT Continues on LinkedIn SEAOSC group

Hear, hear :)

-----Original Message-----
From: ad026 rpransom [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)rpransom.ca]
Sent: May-24-12 10:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

In Internet years, this has been a very long and fruitful run.

Thank you to SEAOSC and those people who had the foresight to bring this forum to life. To appreciate this, if you look back in the archives from 1995, one post of the Computer Applications Committee announces that the City of LA now has a WWW page! Seventeen years later, many of the early participants are still active, today.

Over the years we have had access to the experienced insight of many people willing to share what they had learned when we were tempted to expand our own horizons. A medium where a small office practitioner had access to big office insights and where specialty knowledge and contacts were made available in both directions and across long distances.

We were brought together by our profession but we found many common bonds.
We have watched our colleagues from around the world as they passed through transitions in life and career and we vicariously celebrated their achievements. And, we have lost friends, like Dennis and Roger.

The Listserver aggregated a community of common interest but not all participants were structural engineers. Occasionally we were enlightened by a view from another side by Christopher who is still quoting John Sedgwick.

There have been lively debates: which college football team is best; which computer OS rules; ASD vs. LRFD; RPN vs. not RPN; and politics, with the inevitable spiral down into acrimonious insults. But we always missed Bill when he wasn't there with some quick jibe.

We learned the names of local craft beers in places that we might visit, if we could take a holiday. We secretly fear that Harold will show up on the doorstep one day, mug in hand, expecting payment.

Despite the fact that this forum will now transition to LinkedIn, I don't think that it will have the same character - it just won't be the SEAINT ListServ with all its technical glitches and requests to be unsubscribed; time delayed responses from people receiving Digests; panicked, "Testing, Testing," when an immediate bounce-back acknowledgement wasn't received; Tom's indecipherable ASCII messages in the Digest. SEAINT Listserv is like a small-town square and LinkedIn is more like the plaza in front of the 50 storey tower where people eat their lunch but nobody really stops to chat.

There are new communication forums and an expanding group of people out there waiting to learn and teach and to add to our lives in significant ways. Listservers, like the Bulletin Board predecessors, are being left behind for the 140 character instant bulletin in your pocket.

Thank you, SEAOSC, for allowing an outsider, in, and sharing.

Regards
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.

> From: "Casey K. Hemmatyar" <seaint(--nospam--at)psfeg.com>

> May 23, 2012
>
> For Immediate Release:
>
> SEAINT List Server transfers to LinkedIn SEAOSC group
>
> Dear SEAINT List Server users;
>
> SEAOSC (Structural Engineers Association of Southern California) has
> been sponsoring and funding the SEAINT List Server since 1994.
>
> Due to technological and financial advantages, SEOASC Board of
> Directors has decided to continue the List Server service on LinkedIn
platform.

--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.
PRansom(--nospam--at)PaulRansom.ca