RE: Pe Act/CA Code Of Regulations Title 16 Div 5

I have reported an unsafe structure in the past to the Owner based on
visual observation.  I was later contacted by the enigneer who was grateful
 for my observations.  Repairs were made, and all was good.  But the Codes
of Ethics is a bit vague on whether or not reporting a deficiency is an
"professional obligation".  Engineers are not casual observers.  We have
training and knowledge that gives us more insight on structural
performance.

<http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/licensees/conduct.shtml>

I would suggest reading ASCE Canon 1.  It may not be a law, but I think it
adds clarity.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:30:10 -0700
> From: djk1engineering(--nospam--at)gmail.com
> Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Pe Act/CA Code Of Regulations Title 16 Div 5
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> I'd appreciate some info on this topics.
>
> Under the PE ACT and the CA Code of regulations Title 16 DIV 5 or other
> sections and codes/laws when is a licensed engineer's duty to report to
> local governing agencies
> that an existing structure as visually observed it is believed to be in
> code violation and/or placing in jeopardy the health safety and property
> of the public?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> *Desi J. Kiss, M.S., P.E.- *Principal
> *DJK Engineering* - Mission Viejo CA.
> Ph: 949/458-9169 Fax: 949/458-9059

Truncated 1170 characters in the previous message to save energy.