Re: ACI Tension Members Embedment Length of Straight Bars

Will,
I'm not 100% sure why either, but here is my 2 cents. I have had a time or two where I could have reduced the development length in a tension member because I had much more steel than I needed for the actual tension force. I could never actually find anything that allowed it for tension members either. I assume it to be because you don't want to rely on concrete in tension to transfer your loads. If your development length was not enough, you would be relying on the concrete tensile strength to resist your tension loads. Since those couple of instances, for tension members I supply the required development length.

Jeff