Wide Flange Beam Connection At HSS Column

I am reviewing a design where a wide flange beam is being connected to the
sidewall of an HSS column as a rigid moment connection.  It is similar to
example 4.3 of the Design Guide 24 Hollow Structural Sections Connections.

The first part of the solution is to check to see if there is adequate
width to weld the beam flange to the face of the HSS column.  Of course in
the example there is.

With the problem I am reviewing (of course) the flange is wider than B-3t.
What is impacted if the beam flange width is wider than B-3t.  The
available length of weld I would imagine would be equal to B-3t, but what
about the other design checks?  All other limits of applicability are
satisfied.

Is the limit state of local yielding effected where the flange width
becomes an effective width equal to B-3t when the flange is in either
tension or compression?  Other aspects of AISC K1.3b?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

email: VVEng(--nospam--at)cableone.net