-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
[mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On Behalf Of
Joseph R. Grill
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:06 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Wide Flange Beam
Connection At HSS Column

I am reviewing a design where a wide flange beam
is being connected to the
sidewall of an HSS column as a rigid moment
connection.  It is similar to
example 4.3 of the Design Guide 24 Hollow
Structural Sections Connections.

The first part of the solution is to check to see
if there is adequate
width to weld the beam flange to the face of the
HSS column.  Of course in
the example there is.

With the problem I am reviewing (of course) the
flange is wider than B-3t.
What is impacted if the beam flange width is wider
than B-3t.  The
available length of weld I would imagine would be
equal to B-3t, but what
about the other design checks?  All other limits
of applicability are
satisfied.

Is the limit state of local yielding effected
where the flange width
becomes an effective width equal to B-3t when the
flange is in either
tension or compression?  Other aspects of AISC
K1.3b?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE