Re: ACI Tension Members Embedment Length of Straight Bars

This is just a column pedestal. I'm transferring uplift from a steel column
base plate, to the pedestal, then into the footing. The bars are sticking
up from the footing into the concrete pedestal.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Tripp Howard <tripphoward(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:

> Be mindful of the requirements of ACI 318 section 12.15.6.  If your
> tension member qualifies as a "tension tie", lap splices are not allowed.
>
> Tripp Howard
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM, William Haynes <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems like if the bond length is enough to develop the force that is
>> required to be resisted then it would be similar to the case where a
>> greater force is present and a full development length was provided. I
>> don't really understand it.
>>
>> If I only have 1 kip of tension on a #6 straight bar embedded 16 inches
>> then the bar should be treated as if it does not provide adequate
>> resistance by ACI?
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Jeff Hedman <jeff_h(--nospam--at)lrpope.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Will,
>>> I'm not 100% sure why either, but here is my 2 cents. I have had a time

Truncated 597 characters in the previous message to save energy.