Wood Shearwall Blocking

I've got a project in construction and am utilizing wood sheathed
structural panel shearwalls as my lateral system for the building.
There are shearwalls with various nailing patterns, but all have been
designed as blocked.  The contractor has asked the question as to
whether they can substitute screwed light-gauge strapping for the wood
blocking.  I have heard of strapping being used as blocking in
light-gauge shearwalls, but I haven't seen light-gauge and wood being
mixed in this way.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this or a possible
reference to go by?

Thanks,

Greg