-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Chuck Utzman Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:20 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Wood Shearwall Blocking

I would be very doubtful that such a connection could properly restrain
the plywood panels against rotation. IMO the result would be, at best,
more flexible--& likely much weaker. Furthermore, it is hard to see how
this saves any construction cost if there is access to allow block
installation. I'd say no. Unless he can provide test results on such an
installation--fat chance.
Chuck Utzman, PE

On 9/13/2012 9:30 AM, Greg Mosier wrote:
> I've got a project in construction and am utilizing wood sheathed
> structural panel shearwalls as my lateral system for the building.
> There are shearwalls with various nailing patterns, but all have been
> designed as blocked.  The contractor has asked the question as to
> whether they can substitute screwed light-gauge strapping for the wood
> blocking.  I have heard of strapping being used as blocking in
> light-gauge shearwalls, but I haven't seen light-gauge and wood being
> mixed in this way.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this or a possible
> reference to go by?
>
> Thanks,

Truncated 449 characters in the previous message to save energy.