Re: Wood Shearwall Blocking

I agree with both statements.  I would further suggests that metal screws
attaching metal to plywood (I assume the contractor wants to install metal
strap on outside of plywood) may not achieve neither the same allowable
loads nor the level of ductility of nails of plywood to solid blocking.   I
 don't have the code book or APA manual in front of me but you may end up
needing 3 to 4 times as many screws as nails and the connection may not be
practical.

Regards,

Alexander Sasha Itsekson,  SE

> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:14:04 +0000

> From: Mansoor Khan

> Subject: RE: Wood Shearwall Blocking

> I agree with Chuck here and would not recommend to replace 2 x horizontal

> blocking with some metal hardware. Another thing that should be looked at

> is the thermal bridging as it would occur if you use metal straps.
> Thermal

> conductivity of metal is several times greater than that of wood.

> Mansoor Khan

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™II Skyrocket™ an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.