Re: Advanced Framing - residences

Bill:

I like "huh"; but from the APA Advanced Construction Guide:

/" Advanced framing with 2x6 wood studs spaced 24 inches on center, combined with wood structural panel sheathing, is one of the most cost- effective solutions for builders trying to balance increasingly energy codes with structural building code requirements.

Advanced framing is a system of framing is a system of framing based on optimizing building materials to produce wood-framed buildings with lower material and labor costs than conventionally framed structures. Builders who utilize advanced framing techniques optimize framing material usage, reduce wood waste and, with effective insulation detailing, boost the building's efficiency to meet today's energy code requirements. _*When properly designed*_ and constructed, advanced framed walls that are fully sheathed with wood structural panels, such as plywood or orientated strand board (OSB), provide the structural strength necessary to safely withstand the forces of nature."
/
You can get this guide from here: http://www.apawood.org/

So far in my limited reading of the various publications published by various sites, I don't see a lot of structural engineering review by anyone - but I do come across some references that a structural engineer should be looking at the designs and that the detailing of the system should be clearly shown on the drawings.

One of the recommendations is a single 2x top plate using metal straps to connect the ends. Nowhere have I seen discussed that these plates are chords for a second floor diaphragm and the roof diaphragm.

I really like wood houses to be strong enough to resist the multitude of big winds we've had in the U.S. these last few years and I am not sure that this system is the answer.

Neil Moore, PE, SE (Ca 1640)
Cal Poly BS Arch Engr. with Structural Option  1960