From: Joe La Brie [mailto:labrie(--nospam--at)makeitright.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:30 AM
To: Joe La Brie
Subject: SoCal SE's Sign Up for the Buildings at Risk Summit

Dear SEAOSC Colleagues:

The single, most significant educational event that SEAOSC will be hosting
this year is the second annual Buildings at Risk ǀ Earthquake Loss
Reduction Summit.  This BAR Event is a precursor to The Great California
ShakeOut and has widespread exposure and involvement from across
California.  Our Association needs your support.

Unlike traditional engineering conventions and seminar topics, the BAR
Summit aims to spotlight earthquake risks in a fresh way.  It is an event
that taps into the best thinking from a wide variety of industry partners.
There are a host of dedicated sponsors, presenters, and organizers who look
 forward to your participation on October 11th at the Bonaventure Hotel in
downtown Los Angeles.  You can register online at:
http://www.seaosc.org/events_bar.cfm#regis

I believe the BAR Summit presents an important ‘Defining Moment’ for
the Structural Engineering community.   Our involvement and collaboration
with other building industry stakeholders is an important thread to be
woven into the fabric of our professional contribution to earthquake
safety.  Show your support of our local Structural Engineers Association by
 either offering to be a sponsor and/or registering yourself to
participate. Invite others that you work with including Architects,
Building Owners, Developers, Contractors, Inspectors, and Building
Officials.

While it may be argued that this event will not affect your day-to-day
engineering practice in the short term, the BAR Summit event is a vital
tool for communicating earthquake hazards and vulnerabilities that, in the
long run, will make our work more meaningful.  Furthermore, it is an ideal
opportunity to earn PDH credit for continuing education. I hope to see you
there, helping to foster relationships and partnerships with other industry
 professionals.  It is essential that we are vigilant to move forward
seismic risk mitigation education that will help motivate our communities
to decrease risk and increase resiliency.

Sincerely,
Joe
Joe La Brie, SE
SEAOSC President