Re: Advanced Framing - residences

OK, following a suggestion to ignore the j..s bulls...t,  let's talk about
advanced framing.

My question is this: just because the framers were building stud walls on
16 centers and never cared about lining up joists and studs is that good
enough reason to continue what we have been doing for "30 years", and in
this case much longer than that? What about using rim joists in lieu of
headers?

Are these things simply not practicle enough and will require too much
oversight?   So if it doesn't save money on the project now,  because the
contractor is inexperienced in this sort of thing,  why not do it anyway to
 continue the trend,  train contractors,  save resources,  etc.   If the
owner and architect are for it,  they won't have to convince me.

I agree with previous posters,  a reconstruction meeting is a must.
Perhaps an introductory letter to the bidding contractors and a
preselection interviews are in order.   But in general,  I feel it is a
good thing and it will happen with or without some of us who like to
grumble.

Regards,

Sasha Itsekson,  SE
Oakland,  CA

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:31:37 -0700

> From: "T. William \(Bill\) Allen, S.E."

> Subject: RE: Advanced Framing - residences

> Chuck -

> Personally, I would prefer to hear more of what you have to say,

> snarky-ness aside. I can tell you, like I, try to avoid the politics
> which

> has brought down every incarnation of this list. I personally believe
> that

> no one on this list will have their political or religious opinion's

Truncated 576 characters in the previous message to save energy.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™II Skyrocket™ an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.