Re: Old Joist Type

They sound like they may be Anthes joists which were made in Canada for a period of approx 30 years. As they were a medium sized company, they probably shipped to the USA. The joists consisted of cold-rolled gauge top and bottom chords in a bulbous W shape. The webs were always pipe or tubes crimped at the ends so they could be welded to the chords. I recommend you contact the Can Inst of Steel Construction (CISC) as they have kept a library of Anthes joists. Send to Technical assistance at Fax no 1-905-946-8574, e-mail: cisc-icca.ca. I had a job approx 4 yrs ago to install new mech units, where the building dated from the 1960's which had these and I could not analyse them for the reasons given by Will.
Gary