From: Will Haynes <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
To: seaint-seaosc <seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com>
Sent: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 1:40 pm
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Steel beam grade

Looking at my steel manual from that time I would also go with the 42ksi
assumption if that is all the information that is available. Page 5-215 of
the AISC 7th edition (Revised 6/73) has that ASTM 572-72 covered 6 grades
of steel with 42 ksi being the minimum.

WH

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com> wrote:

> I am looking at a building designed in 1973.  The general notes call out
> that beams with depths greater than 10' shall be "572 STEEL". Thereis no
> mention on grade or required yield stress.  Looking at older AISC
> manuals, A572 steel has a minimum yield of 42 ksi.  Would it be safe to
> assume that the steel meets this?
>
> --
> *Drew Morris, PE*| /Project Engineer/
> BBFM Engineers, Inc. <A
> HREF="http://www.bbfm.com/";>http://www.bbfm.com/</A -
> http://www.bbfm.com/%3C/A> 510 L Street, Suite 200 | Anchorage, Alaska

Truncated 1105 characters in the previous message to save energy.