Re: IBC Deflection Limits for Brick Cladding

Harold,

The 0.42 likely comes from the wind being derived at strength level now.
The previous IBC allowed 0.7 times the C&C load. Dividing 0.7/0.42=1.67,
which is the same as the allowable wind factor in the IBC 2012 divided into
1.0 (1/0.6=1.67).  It would have been good if they would have stated the
footnote to Table 1604.3 as "C&C loads derived from Vult" or something like
to make it clear that it applies now to the strength level derivation. ASCE
7-10 chapter 30 goes through strength level derivation for C&C.

I don't know where the H/240 originated.

WH

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Harold Sprague
<spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>wrote:

> The 2012 International Building Code (IBC), Table 1604.3 provides a
> deflection limit of L/240 for "other brittle finishes" with the wind
> pressure taken as 0.42 times the “component and cladding” pressures
> for determining deflection limits.  I have presumed this to apply to
> brick veneer / stud wall systems.
>
> The basis of this provision is not provided in the IBC.  In the past a 10
> year wind was roughly equivalent to about 0.75 times the 50 year wind.
>
> Does anyone know the basis for either the L/240 or the 0.42 factor?
>
> Regards, Harold Sprague
>
>> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:36:03 -0700
>> From: r_varjavand(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
>> Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Site Amplification in Japanese Codes
>> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>>
>> Good morning,

Truncated 503 characters in the previous message to save energy.