RE: IBC Deflection Limits for Brick Cladding

Joel and Will,
I just heard back from the author of this in the IBC and he confirmed what
you stated.  Basically it is a 10 year wind repackaged to start from the
ultimate values.  I have an article coming out soon discussing the
L/whatever factor as an indicator of performance.  We need some more
studies because the actual testing and observations in the field do not
match the design guides.  And there is no link beween permeability of the
brick veneer cladding and cracking.  But the IBC has a "requirment" for
L/240 based on a 10 year wind because it is in the building code.

I have traveled far since I was using L/600 for a 50 year wind.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> From: jadair(--nospam--at)shwgroup.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 20:04:24 +0000
> Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] IBC Deflection Limits for Brick Cladding
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> I believe the 0.42 factor is taking into account that the wind pressures
> calculated in ASCE 7-10 are ultimate-level loads, rather than
> service-level, as was the case in previous editions. The 0.42 is
> combining the conversion from ultimate to service and 50-year to 10-year
> wind.
> I'm not sure about the L/240. I wonder what the Brick Institute would say
> about that. Seems too flexible to me.
>
> -- Joel Adair
> SHW Group
> Plano, TX

Truncated 950 characters in the previous message to save energy.