RE: Fw: Pergola Wind loading

Valerie,
As already pointed out, you cannot use shielding from other elements.  This
 has been true in pipe racks and all other kinds of structures.  If you
want to account for shielding, you have to put it in a wind tunnel and test
it. You might try contacting one of the testing labs and ask them if they
have anything comparable in their testing history.  CPP is a good lab to
ask. There are others.  Once you look at actual tests, you will observe
that shielding from windward members does not happen unless the windward
member is very large and the leeward member has to be very close to the
windward member.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 15:02:07 -0700
> From: v.t.eskelsen(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net
> Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Fw: Pergola Wind loading
> To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
>
> Hello,
>
> I am investigating the loadings on a "shade" pergola.
> There is to be 2x4 HDPE rafters @ 7" o.c. for three spans (6'8"x3) with
> an aluminum frame 12'x20'.
> Top of columns are 12'.
>
> 90MPH, B ... gives me 15.2 psf fascia windward and 10.1 psf fascia
> leeward.
> What about the other (18) 2x4 between the first = windward and last =
> leeward?
>
> It seems like there should be some contribution from the others, but not
> full.

Truncated 330 characters in the previous message to save energy.

5360 Workman Mill Road, Whittier, CA 90601